Saturday, March 30, 2013

Easter and a Manuscript called Heaven

Happy Easter!

Yay! It’s easter and I have just submitted a manuscript entitled, Heaven.

I had difficulty writing. And even more difficulty editing what I have written. I practically spent my holy week break doing it and I couldn’t seem to find the satisfaction in the manuscript – not in the story, not in the way I told the story.  At first I wasn’t sure why.  Then it finally occurred to me. I was pressuring myself to write according to what I thought was expected of me rather than going to the heart of the reasons why I write.  Because I want to write. Because I want to tell a story. 

I sat down and told myself, forget about everything – all the techniques, all the writing rules, stop second-guessing yourself, JUST TELL THE STORY YOU WANT TO TELL. 

I wanted to tell the story of this professional, responsible, self-sacrificing single woman who worked her way to the top and a self-entitled, playboy bum who only care about 2 things: himself and a beautiful garden called Heaven.   I want to tell the story of how the two of them, seemingly on the opposite poles could find each other, love each other, learn from each other and grow with each other.

I wrote for two days, deleting and editing most of what I have written already.

And finally, the girl who knew only how to love others learned to love herself as well and the man who seemed to have forgotten how to love others learned to do so  and in so doing, both of them found a miracle.

The end.

There.

 I have written the story I wanted to tell. It’s now in the hands of the dear editor who will get to pick the MS in tomorrow’s draw.  And then, it will be in the hands of the readers who in the end will tell if I have succeeded in telling a good story.

 But for now, allow me to celebrate.  I have lost this storytelling self for a few months. And I welcome myself back.


6 comments:

  1. Goodluck Ms. Angel!

    Im one of your avid readers and I LOVE MOST of your novels. I just wanna tell you that asides from the plot of story that I love, I also admire how you describe and make me "FEEL" about the characters. (sorry Im not really good in grammar)

    Hmm, sometimes we get pressured by the people around us and how will they react about our works (in your case, your upcoming novel) As a reader, I dont have much expectations from my favorite writer coz d most important thing for me is that ANY WRITINGS THAT COMES FROM THE HEART is a GOOD NOVEL (kasi alam ko na ginawa iyon ng writer para maibahagi nya sa aming mga reader ang nararamdaman nila ukol sa nobela, sinumang reader ay matutuwa dito kasi ramdam namin na binuhusan nyo ito ng atensyon) wag po kayong mag alala sa expectations ng mga reader kasi simple lamang kaming nilalang... Hehe, ndi ako nag-eexpect ng bonggang plot,scenes, or characters...kahit simple ang storya basta may puso, solve na ako dun ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thank you so much, mai. this is so affirming. and don't worry. i am not one of those who care too much about other people's grammar either.

      iyon nga ang natutunan ko at kinailangan kong balikan, habang nagsusulat ng nobelang ito. na hindi ko kailangang ikumplika ang sinusulat ko para lang maging impressive. kailangan ko lang maging totoo sa puso ko ang mga characters at ang mga nararamdaman nila sa mga sitwasyong kinakaharap nila.

      sana'y 'solve' sa iyo ang kinalabasang istorya.

      happy easter to you :)


      Delete
  2. After meeting you on the 2012 PHR Writing Workshop, from then on you became one of my idols. I wanted to be like you someday. But of course there could only be one Angel Bautista / Carla Giopaolo, and as I continue reading your work you never fail to amaze me. I admire you more for your humility.

    That explains siguro kung bakit kapag binabasa namin ang novels mo nararamdaman namin ang mensahe at parang totoo talaga.

    Masaya ako na nasa kamay na ng editor ang story ng Heaven dahil ang kasunod ay kami naman ang magkakaroon ng chance bumasa :) Thank you and Take care always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, cristine! kumusta ang writing life?

      naku, don't worry about not being another angel bautista and it's not because you are not good enough but because we all have different voices as writers.malay mo, you are destined to be someone so much better. you just need to work it!

      sana nga makapasa na sa editor dahil excited na rin akong makarating ang Heaven sa mga kamay niyo at malaman ang reaksiyon niyo sa book na ito na ang pamagat sa desktop ko habang sinusulat ko pa lang ay - MY BALIK LOOB MS. hehe

      salamat din sa iyo . ingat din!

      Delete
  3. I just finished this novel, called Heaven.. And I still couldn't move on with how I felt after I finished the book. You are indeed a masterpiece creator, and yes, you have succeeded in telling a good story. No, not just good.. But one of the best, a wonderfully told story. I'm still gripping inside and still hear the last chapter in my head but I'm still in awe how you never fail to capture the real feelings of your characters and let us feel them too. Kudos ms angel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Late reply. As usual. And I don't know if you'll ever get back to this blog to read this but still I want to say thank you. I have received very generous feedback regarding Heaven and up to now it still feels like...heaven to know that so many hearts were touched by a story that I obsessed so much about and to know that I have made right decision in choosing to just stick to my truths in telling this story.

      Delete